We are looking for a motivated, hard-working and social agronomist with a focus on maize. You will have the opportunity to directly impact the lives of around 4,000,000 Myanmar paddy farmer households – over 16,000,000 people.
You will be responsible for the creation of advice that the Golden Paddy platform spreads directly to paddy farmers in Myanmar. You will also assist in the development of an agronomic model (the Golden Paddy Model) that will automatically analyze data inputs from the Golden Paddy platform (eg. EO data) to provide precision farming to smallholder farmers.
You will be based from Yangon, Myanmar with regular travel within Myanmar, likely within South-East Asia. You will have the opportunity to go into the field once per month to directly interact with the farmers.
You will be responsible for targeted and actionable advice to paddy farmers in Myanmar. We expect you to be a professional with a no-nonsense, critical and constructive attitude.
Your responsibilities are to:
- Assess the need of Myanmar paddy farmers
- Set up partnerships with international expert organizations on paddy
- Review and improving current paddy content
- Assist in the creationof a central Golden Paddy Model
- Provide advice based on data insights from the Golden Paddy Model based on experience, desk and field research.
- Give feedback on data insights from the Golden Paddy Model
- Create easy-to-understand and actionable advice for farmers
HARD SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 5 to 10 years relevant work experience
- Academic degree in agronomics
- Provable expertise in paddy production
- Excellent grades in both Bachelor and Master (average 7.0+)
- Strong interest in mobile applications, earth observation, big-data, machine learning and other technologies
- Affinity with (mobile) technology
- Fluent in English language
- Myanmar languages are a plus
- Strong drive and can-do mentality
- Cultural sensitive
- Very strong in analytics and structuring
- Getting hands dirty
- Intrinsic drive to get things done
- To the point and clear in communications
WHY JOIN US?
- You will positively impact the lives of hundreds of millions of people globally in the next years
- You will be part of the development and deployment of state-of-the-art technologies and (business) models that make the world a better place
- You will participate in the fastest and likely most impactful venture globally and be in the driver’s seat!
See the end of the document for details for application.
Impact Terra is a fast growing agricultural, financial and big-data technology company focused on social impact. We believe social impact and financial return are two requirements for sustainability.
The world needs more and better food. A growing population, changing climate and low productivity of small-holder farmers are reasons for serious concern. Small-holder farmers are responsible for the largest share of global agricultural production. There are an estimated 900 million smallholder farmers globally, of whom 350 million live in Southeast Asia, and around 30 million in Myanmar. In most developing markets agriculture contributes significantly to the economy while still being extremely inefficient. Supporting small-holders will lead to significant improvements to food production, the livelihoods of hundreds of millions of people and the economies of developing markets.
We use smartphones and our proprietary digital platform Golden Paddy to support millions of farmers, retailers, and other users in their daily business and information requirements. As Myanmar leapfrogged from no to full connectivity and 100% smartphone use within 2.5 years, we believe the infrastructure is now available to deliver a solution. Global trends such as increasing food demand, decreasing food production/yields and fast increasing smartphone connectivity make our model one for the future and one for significant impact
Our vision: leverage connectivity to enable small holder farmers to become more knowledgeable and independent
Our mission: support farmers in improving their livelihoods and make food supply more secure and safe
Our Golden Paddy digital platform consists of several channels, ranging from an Android app, mobile website and mobile data tools to a very popular Facebook page. The Golden Paddy platform was launched mid-December 2016 and has grown within 5 months to a reach of more than 2 million farmers per month and users in more than 95% of all townships in Myanmar. We are now expanding our services, service levels and userbase across Myanmar and are soon launching the first wave of new markets in South-East Asia, South Asia, East Africa and South America.
The Golden Paddy platform provides farmers with services across the following themes
- § Access to Knowledge: provides the latest, best and most specific knowledge and advice available globally for every crop, location and soil type
- § Access to Markets: provides market transparency around prices, buyers/sellers, volumes and mobile transaction and payment options
- § Access to Finance: provides transparency on financing and insurance options and mobile quotation, booking and transactions of financial products
The Golden Paddy platform provides partners and clients with services such as
- § Access to small-holder farmers – including popup notifications, advertisements, information/advice dissemination
- § Big-data, reports and insights – from user, usage, market, farming to earth observation data insights
- § Transactions & payments – facilitating transactions, bookings and payments through the platform
The Golden Paddy platform provides specific and targeted content and advice to each of its users. Impact Terra’s non-profit, knowledge institute, government and other partners contribute their content and knowledge to the platform. The platform is independent and provides objective and exhaustive information and advice to its users.
Golden Paddy’s clients consist of the world’s leading agribusinesses, market research agencies, advertisement agencies, financial institutions, non-profits and government institutes.
EARTH OBSERVATION PROGRAM (EOP)
Satellite based Earth Observation data, big-data methods and machine learning / artificial intelligence (AI) techniques offer an opportunity to considerable improve, specify and scale actionable advice.
Impact Terra has started integration of Earth Observation data into the Golden Paddy platform. With a consortium of specialists (from satellite data companies to agronomists) Impact Terra is building its capabilities to fully automize and continuously improve Golden Paddy’s precision farming advice to small-holder farmers and sell its insights – globally.
The program has started with the support of the European Space Agency (ESA), Worldbank and Asia Development Bank (ADB) and will be accelerated with financial and technical support over the course of 2018 from several financial institutions and earth observation facilities.
Resume, transcripts of University grades and motivation letter can be send to email@example.com. Applications without motivation letters will not be accepted.
For more information see www.impactterra.com.